Tout Quarry on Portland was long abandoned and then started a new existence as a sculpture park. To some this seems to have lost its way and it looks rather sad, but there is still one reminder of the glories of the past when this quarry would have been full of the noise of quarrying.
Lano’s Arch is from this previous era of great activity and expansion in the quarrying business. It was part of The Merchants Railway formed by an Act of Parliament in 1825 to carry quarried stone from the northern part of Portland down to the dock at Castletown and shipment onward by either boat or railway. It was owned by the quarry proprietors who formed the Portland Railway Company to run it.
An extract from Dorset’s Legacy in Bridges.