At Bagber on the main A357 over the River Lydden, a tributary of the Stour, an 18th century stone bridge carries the westbound traffic and a 20th century steel bridge the eastbound. Twofords refers to the original river crossing not the two present day crossings.
In 1942, preparations for D-Day, the liberation of Europe, were already in hand when it was realised the stone bridge at Bagber would not be strong enough to take the heavy military traffic south to the embarkation ports of Poole, Weymouth and Portland. Canadian army engineers assembled and positioned this prefabricated Callender-Hamilton bridge and, although the original decking of railway sleepers has rotted and been replaced, it is still in continuous use on the main road.
An extract from Dorset’s Legacy in Bridges.