The main exhibit at the Ball Clay Mining Museum at Norden is this minehead transhipment building. Originally sited at Norden No 7 mine, it was moved and reerrected with new corrugated sheeting and should be open to the public during 2013.
Sherborne Baptist Chapel, once known as Coombe Church, was erected by the Baptists in the 1880’s on land owned by the Digby Estate, and continued as their place of worship until 1928 when they built an imposing brick church nearby.
This old disintegrating shepherd’s hut is a perfect example of how the type of agriculture in this area has changed. This was once a very high quality well made hut but it will soon be nothing but a memory. At the moment, however, it is still a reminder of times and types of farming past.
St Saviour’s at Dottery, near Bridport, is the only ‘Tin Tabernacle’ in Dorset in which regular services are still held. The faithful congregation can receive Holy Communion here on alternate Sundays thanks to their loyalty and love of the church. The services use the original Book of Common Prayer given to the church by the […]
In the early 1900’s Rawson Hall was purchased second hand in London, by a Miss Rawson who had it erected in Sherborne on land rented from the Digby Estate. Its original purpose was as a temporary chapel to help cope with the expansion of the Methodist Faith in the area.
Corrugated iron was invented and patented in June 1829 by Henry Robinson Palmer, who had worked under Thomas Telford and was now busy designing a new basin in London Docks, the scheme including all the surrounding associated buildings and warehouses.
Tarrant Rushton World War II airfield was a very important base for glider operations such as Operation Neptune on D-Day and Operation Market Garden at Arnhem, as well as for dropping and picking up agents from France and other occupied countries in Europe.
The Museum Inn at Farnham is famous for its cooking and hospitality and there is a fine restaurant inside this corrugated iron extension to the main building.
The Nissen hut was designed during World War I by Colonel Nissen as a building that could be carried on one lorry and put up very rapidly by unskilled labour to be used as accommodation, office, storage or myriad other uses.
Halfway between Wareham and Corfe Castle, just off Soldiers Road, Arne, stand the Isolation Hospital and Nurses’ Bungalow. They were put up in the early 1900’s and were chosen from the Humphreys of Knightsbridge catalogue. This hospital is the finest remaining example of the type and, together with the bungalow, is listed grade II.